Friday, April 22, 2016



A Moment with a Painter

A painter came to my house to give me an estimate for painting the siding after my hail-damaged roof is replaced. Van was recommended by my roofer.  He was tall, middle-aged, serious and all business.  We toured the outside of the house; he came in to discuss the paint colors and some possible repairs of rotted spots on the trim. It didn't take long and soon he was headed for the front door.  Just before he walked out, he turned to me and said, "I love your home.  It's life-affirming."  And he left.  


I thought about his remark--"life-affirming"--for the next few hours, and what his simple statement revealed about him--his sensitivity and depth. He generously gave me a gift I will always remember.  

Life-affirming.  A compliment and a goal.  


No comments:

Post a Comment