Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Texture of Time




On our recent trip to the west coast we saw spectacular sights, gorgeous vegetation, magnificent shorelines and interesting people, but often what caught my attention was the texture and beauty of what once, but no longer, was young and vibrant.  Old trees, driftwood and fallen logs drew me in and I paused to study and photograph them.  The young thriving plants were colorful but often created only a background for the stumps which provided the interest and focus. That often applies to people, too.  We saw many young, healthy, beautiful people at the beach and on the paths, but it was the old people who were memorable--the old man in the motorized wheelchair with his dog on a leash, and the elderly couple wearing sun hats, walking the pier holding hands--those with stories and memories that reach back for decades.  Their texture is written on their faces and displayed in their posture and gait.  I feel joy for the young.  I appreciate their energy and ambition.  But my heart is touched and my interest held by the old--both people and nature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment